Thursday, November 13, 2008

Barter


This property I own is all hillsides and trees, therefore not much good for farming. The only flat, treeless spot is where I have my buildings. To make it even worse, because of the tightness of this narrow valley there is not even enough sunlight to grow much of a garden. Six hours a day is all I can muster in the sunniest spot, and that just happens to be over a small wetland. So I'm kinda screwed when it comes to growing my own food.

In order to survive a potential food crisis I have only two options.
1.To eat the naturally growing stuff (animal/vegetable) like the Delaware Indians did before me who used it to supplement their basic fare of corn/beans/and squash. . . or
2.Barter something I created for food and other essential stuff.

I will do both of course, but for now I am working towards getting myself in the position to barter.
I have chosen to build an old time clay oven in which I will bake bread, pizza's and other stuff for barter. The one I use now is too small, but if the future demands it I will build an oven capable of baking twelve loves of bread at a time. This is completely doable and would cost nothing as all the clay, stone, sand, etc. are here already.

I may also look into building a still like the old hillbillies used to do. White Lightening, bread, pizza will make me the most popular, unexpendable dude in the valley (and you don't want to be deemed expendable in the brave new world.)

Before the social/economic upheaval begins I will know every plant, animal and insect in this area that can be used for food. I will eat food that the locals would never think of eating, thus assuring a continues supply. I will bake bread using ground cattail root powder and insects if necessary, whatever it takes. If you die on my turf I will eat you . . . but I won't kill you just for the privilege :-)

So the plan is complete and already set in motion. Now hopefully we will never have to use it. Hopefully the world can wake up and overcome the future depletion of our oil supply. Hopefully the trickle down affect (the only time this theory works by the way) we are already experiencing won't get any worse. Hopefully the world can read the tea leaves and back up before it's too late. But without first having to experience the pain I doubt it. . .next . . . Family the Secret Weapon.